Welcome to Grapplers Den Academy, a premier Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school based in Balham, South London and an affiliate of Mauricio Gomes Legacy team. The club was established over 18 years ago by coach Javed, an experienced martial artist and a 3rd degree black belt under 10 times world champion Roger Gracie. If you are a total beginner or an experienced grappler come and start/continue your journey with our team!
Classes are available 6 days a week with options of Gi, NoGi, Wrestling and Muay Thai.
No matter how big or small, strong or weak you think you are. Grapplers Den Academy will bring the best out of you.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is by far the fastest growing martial art in the world. It combines grappling and submissions. Techniques that can be used by anyone to overcome and subdue a larger and less skilled opponent.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a modern martial art which was started when a Japanese master Mitsuyo Maeda travelled to Brazil in 1916. There, he started teaching his ground fighting skills to Carlos Gracie who later passed it on to his brothers. Hélio, being the smallest and weakest of the brothers, had difficulties adapting the techniques. Therefore, he began to make adjustments until they could be applied by anyone, regardless of size or strength.
· Learn how to perform takedowns, control and submit an opponent with either joint locks or chokes in a safe and controlled environment.
· Learn defensive as well as Sports BJJ. BJJ is always evolving with new techniques, so you never get bored.
· Progress in skill and technique and take part in competitions to help sharpen and prove your abilities as you progress up the belt ranking system from White to Black Belt!
· Sessions are offered to all regardless of gender, age, fitness level or previous experience.
- Being skilled in BJJ is also considered a necessity for all (Mixed Martial Arts) athletes.